Saltwater Fishing Regulations
Recreational Saltwater Fishing License Information
In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island’s marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:
- A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
- A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
- A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state (NY, CT, MA and ME)
Exemptions: No license or federal registration is required for anglers who are:
- Under 16 years of age
- Fishing on licensed party or charter boats
- Holders of Highly Migratory Species Angling Permits
- On leave from active military duty
- Blind or permanently disabled
RI saltwater fishing licenses can be purchased at many bait and tackle shops and ONLINE.
View 2020 recreational size, season and possession limits HERE.
For more information contact DEM’s Marine Fisheries Program at:
(401) 423-1923 (M-F 8:30am – 4:00pm).